Welcome, Kapamilya. Please or

Author Topic: Mayor Rodrigo Duterte of Davao City as presidential candidate for PDP-Laban  (Read 7894 times)

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

Duterte apologizes: I can never curse my pope

DAVAO CITY –  Mayor Rodrigo Duterte yesterday apologized but denied cursing Pope Francis in his speech during the proclamation rally of Partido Demokratikong Pilipino-Laban (PDP-Laban).

Duterte explained he was cursing at the government’s incompetence in not handling the traffic jams during the papal visit in Metro Manila in January, not the pontiff.

“I sincerely express sadness and regret that the part of my speech mentioning Pope Francis in relation to the monstrous traffic gridlock in January came across as being disrespectful to his Holiness Pope Francis. It was farthest from my mind and was never my intention,” Duterte said in a statement.

“I acknowledge that I should have explained better my point on the traffic gridlock. My strong statement on the incompetence of those in government to address the traffic problem was my expression of anger borne out of the helplessness of the millions of commuters suffering from this daily gridlock,” he added.

Duterte also said that should the Vatican say that he should drop out of the presidential race in the May 2016 elections, he would immediately withdraw his candidacy.

During the proclamation rally Monday, Duterte complained in front of his supporters about the traffic jams during the papal visit, saying he was stuck in traffic for five hours from the hotel to the airport.

Cayetano, supporters defend Duterte

Vice presidential candidate Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano defended his running mate, saying the mayor’s statements were taken out of context. Monsignor Paul Cuison, vicar general of the Archdiocese of Davao, also defended the mayor for the same reason.

Cayetano said that those who know Duterte can attest that he has a deep relationship with God. “He doesn’t talk about it publicly but I know this personally, having discovered this through my constant engagement with him.”

Duterte’s daughter Sara admitted that her father doesn’t have finesse.

“Rest assured, he is intelligent enough for the highest position. Unfortunately, he does not have the finesse of Lady Diana. In essence, he is a lawyer with manners of a street thug,” she said.

Cayetano explained why Duterte is tough talking.

“Mayor Duterte’s environment and experience brought him up speaking tough, rough and uncensored. The mayor came from a time and place of great conflict and suffering. While the mayor’s words and statements were stronger than what is deemed socially accepted by some, and may rub some the wrong way, the most important thing is he is authentic and his heart is in the right place. He is who he is. He will always fight for the people and never allow them to suffer,” Cayetano said.

Cayetano reminded the public that the national debate should focus on how to change the country for the better, “not to change him (Duterte).”

Sen. Aquilino Pimentel III, PDP-Laban president, also apologized in behalf of the party and sought understanding.

“I wanted to apologize if there were people who were hurt or did not like some things he said because that’s the local campaign style. In local politics, the tougher you are, the better,” he explained. – With Marvin Sy, Mike Frialde, Jerry Dureza

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

Duterte: It was never my intention to disrespect Pope Francis

MANILA - It was farthest from his mind to disrespect Pope Francis, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said Tuesday.

In a post on his official Facebook page, Duterte clarified his earlier statement seemingly cursing the Catholic leader over the traffic gridlocks caused by his visit to the Philippines last January.

Duterte expressed regret that his speech pertaining to the Pope in connection with the traffic jams in Metro Manila came across as being disrespectful.

"It was farthest from his mind and was never his intention," the statement read.

Duterte admitted that he should have explained better his point on the alleged incompetence of the government in handling the traffic problems in the metropolis.

He said he was merely expressing his anger brought about by the helplessness of the millions of commuters suffering from daily gridlocks.

The mayor nonetheless said he understands the reactions of many who were not pleased with his statement.

"It was never intended to be directed to the person of His Holiness Pope Francis, who has his utmost respect. It was out of exasperation at the inutility of the functionaries in government not only during that historic visit of Pope Francis but at the daily sufferings of all citizens in Metro Manila up to this moment.

"Mayor Rody also fully understands the reactions of many who, at the very least, are displeased and disappointed at this unfortunate and regrettable incident," the statement read.

READ: CBCP head rebukes Duterte for cursing Pope

Duterte, who is running for president under the PDP-Laban, on Monday came under fire for supposedly cursing Pope Francis after he allegedly got caught in a traffic jam during the Catholic leader's visit in the Philippines.

"From the hotel to the airport, alam mo inabot kami ng... limang oras. Sabi ko bakit? Sabi pinasarado daw," he said during his speech at the Century Park hotel where he was formally declared PDP-Laban standard bearer.

Duterte said a friend told him that the traffic jam was caused by the Pope's arrival.

"Gusto kong tawagan, 'Pope p---- ka umuwi ka na. 'Wag ka nang magbisita dito,'” Duterte said.

The tough-talking mayor, however, later denied cursing at Pope Francis, saying he was cursing at the way the government handled the security preparations that led to closures of some roads resulting to massive traffic jams in the metro.

"I never said p---- mo Pope. I said 't----, huwag ka na pumunta dito,'" he clarified. "You travel for five hours for five kilometers, you don't use your heads! You allow people to endure

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

Sara Duterte on dad: He's a lawyer with street thug manners

ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 12/02/15 2:21 PM

MANILA - The daughter of Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte has come to his defense following the flak he received over his repeated use of curse words in a recent speech.

On her Instagram account, Inday Sara Duterte-Carpio responded to a netizen's comment that it was "inappropriate" for her father, who is running for president in the 2016 elections, to publicly show himself flirting with other women and tell "how much he likes to kill."

READ: Duterte warns outlaws: 'I can eat your heart in front of you'

The netizen also claimed that accidentally cursing Pope Francis could ruin the mayor's ratings.

Sara should advise her father to at least protect his image, the netizen added.

"Angas lang at arogante ng dating! If this is his strategy, well sorry it is not working!" the post read.

"I was really rooting for him, but now questioning if he's suited for the presidency! I'm now worried for him everytime he opens his mouth to public!"

Sara responded to Instagram users @faejumawan and @bellb900 by saying she understands their sentiments but that her father is intelligent enough for the presidency.

Sara admitted though that Duterte does not have the finesse of a princess and instead has the manners of a "street thug."

"I perfectly understand where you are coming from. I apologize for his behavior," she said in a post Tuesday.

"Rest assured he is intelligent enough for the highest public office, unfortunately, he doesn't have the finesse of Lady Diana. In essence, he is a lawyer with the manners of a street thug."

Duterte, for his part, has said it was never his intention to disrespect Pope Francis when he blurted out a curse word over the traffic gridlocks during the Catholic leader's visit last January.

The mayor nonetheless said he understands the reactions of many who were not pleased with his statement.

"It was never intended to be directed to the person of His Holiness Pope Francis, who has his utmost respect. It was out of exasperation at the inutility of the functionaries in government not only during that historic visit of Pope Francis but at the daily sufferings of all citizens in Metro Manila up to this moment."

"Mayor Rody also fully understands the reactions of many who, at the very least, are displeased and disappointed at this unfortunate and regrettable incident," his statement

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

Chito Miranda, Jim Paredes speak up regarding Rodrigo Duterte ‘cursing’ the Pope

12/02/2015 5:17 AM
by: Joan Leary

After Presidential candidate Davao City mayor Rodrigo “Rody” Duterte made headlines regarding his speech where he complained about the traffic during the Papal visit in 2013 and said, “Gusto kong tawagan, ‘Pope putang ina ka, umuwi ka na. ‘Wag ka nang magbisita dito.”
Pinoys took to social media to share their opinions including musician Jim Paredes and Parokya ni Edgar vocalist Chito Miranda. Jim, in his Twitter account expressed his dismay over Mayor Duterte’s speech and also felt pity for those who were defending him.

On the other hand, Chito said on his Facebook page that Mayor Duterte is ‘what our country needs.’

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

Former Comelec chair: Duterte can sub for Diño for PDP Laban

Sixto Brillantes believes election rules allow for substitution
    He dismisses Diño’s run for mayor of Pasay City instead of president as merely a clerical error
    He calls on Comelec not to prejudice PDP Laban’s prerogative to substitute its own candidate

MANILA, Philippines – As far as former Commission on Elections (Comelec) chairman Sixto Brillantes is concerned, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte is allowed to substitute for Martin Diño as PDP Laban’s presidential bet.

According to Brillantes, a look at the Omnibus Election Code shows that Duterte is allowed as a substitute as his reason falls under one of the three grounds as provided in the rules.

“Section 77 speaks of death of the official candidate, disqualification of the official candidate, or withdrawal of the official candidate,” he told ABS-CBN.

Brillantes also dismissed Diño’s certificate of candidacy indicating his intent to run for mayor of Pasay City, saying this was a mere clerical error and could be simply corrected.

“The controlling document is the PDP-Laban’s certificate of nomination and acceptance,” he stressed.

Lastly, the former Comelec chief called on the election body not to infringe on PDP-Laban’s right to field its substitution just because of a simple error made by its original candidate.

“It’s bad if we will not allow the substitution,” he said. “The one that will be prejudiced is PDP-Laban because the prerogative to substitute belongs to the political party. Therefore, errors committed by Diño should not adversely affect the political party.”

“Let us not penalize the political party for the act of a candidate,” he added.

Broadcaster Ruben Castor, represented by Atty. Oliver Lozano, earlier asked the Comelec to void Duterte’s candidacy for president on the ground he was made a substitute for Diño who wrote he is running for mayor of Pasay City.

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

Duterte reveals plan to solve Metro Manila transpo woes

He spends a chunk of his first speech in front of Metro Manila voters explaining his plans for trains, airports, seaports

SOLVING TRAFFIC. Rodrigo Duterte says a fast train from a new airport in Clark, Pampanga might help traffic congestion both for airports and roads in Metro Manila. Photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler

MANILA, Philippines – Delayed flights, “carmageddon” on EDSA, endless lines of waiting passengers in train stations – Rodrigo Duterte says he’s familiar with the litany of transportation problems in Metro Manila.

The Davao City mayor told thousands of supporters in a November 29 concert that improving the transportation infrastructure of the mega-city would be among his priorities if he becomes president. (READ: Metro Manila has 'worst traffic on Earth' – Waze)

Duterte, who arrived two hours late at the concert due to a delayed flight, said these transportation woes have brought only suffering to citizens and have compromised ease of doing business.

He said Metro Manila lacks a good airport, seaport, and inter-city transportation infrastructure.

On seaports, trucks

Sympathizing with businessmen who use the Manila port, he said: “Ang pantalan, if you are a trader na palabas mo ang iyong goods or papasok, you would want the cheapest, the fastest, and walang istorbo maipasok kaagad. Eh paano mo maipasok, naka-parking lang diyan ilang araw na. Siguro ang mga driver dalawa na ang patay sa kakahintay.”

(For the port, if you are a trader with goods going in and out, you would want the cheapest, the fastest, and no disturbances, so they can be brought in right away. How do you do that when the trucks have been parked for several days? Probably two drivers are dead just waiting.)

The only solution, said Duterte, would be to transfer the port further south on Luzon island.

“You’ll just have to disperse. Transfer at the earliest possible time in Batangas or somewhere there,” he said.

The concentration of activities at the Manila port is a major contributing factor to traffic in Metro Manila, with trucks going all over the mega-city to and from the port.

On airports

As for airport infrastructure, Duterte said the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) can no longer handle the current number of flights. (READ: NAIA among 'high-risk' airports in Asia-Pacific – global airlines)

“All the airplanes going to Manila are concentrated there so how can you arrive on time when at any given time there are about 30 passenger airplanes waiting to make the final approach to land? There’s no infrastructure,” he said.

His solution would be to make more use of Clark International Airport as an alternative airport and then build a fast train to deliver goods and commuters to Metro Manila.

“You have to have a fast train with two points of entry somewhere in Metro Manila that is not too crowded,” he elaborated.

On traffic jams

Duterte also said traffic on EDSA and everywhere else in the metro is because of “daily transactions of motor vehicles” and policies like number coding which merely encourage rich families to buy more cars.

To ease traffic jams, he said he would improve public transportation by buying 30 or 50 more train carriages. This way, people would not have to endure long lines. (READ: On the MRT: A capacity conundrum)

If that’s not enough, he has previously said that he intends to put up a new train line that will run along Pasig River, the only thoroughfare not embroiled in rights-of-way claims.

But for these major overhauls, he said the government would need money.

He proposes borrowing P60 billion from another country or international agency.

“I will not hold the money. I will create a high commission. They will be the ones to handle the money,” he said.

Borrowing money for government projects is nothing new. He said the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr also borrowed some money from foreign entities.

“Maghiram ako ng pera kagaya kay Marcos. Panahon ni Marcos napaka-ganda ng bayang ito, kaya lang, Martial Law (I will borrow money like Marcos. In Marcos’ time, this country was beautiful, but Martial Law happened.),” he said.

The Sunday concert meant to promote Duterte’s tandem with Senator Alan Peter Cayetano was the mayor’s first public event in Metro Manila since he filed his candidacy through a representative last Friday, November 27.

He said he is going around the country because he believes support for him “is weak all over the Philippines.” –

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

For criticizing Duterte’s morals, Gab V told: Your father was not as clean either

Posted on December 9, 2015 by Marcus V

Anonymous open letter on FB criticizes Gary Valenciano’s son for twitting Duterte’s morality
    He’s told father did not live a clean life either
    Gabriel urged to look within his own family first before he goes off judging others

MANILA, Philippines – Basically, someone wants to remind Gabriel Valenciano of the idiom “people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.”

An anonymous open letter circulating in Facebook and social media has blasted the US-based artist for criticizing Duterte’s morality especially after the latter admitted he was a womanizer. The letter goes on to say that he should first  look at his own family’s story before judging others.

“Your own father had a girlfriend and at 19 years of age, he got another girl pregnant whilst still in another relationship,” the letter started. “That other girl is your mom. His girlfriend was Felichi Pangilinan, your mom’s younger sister. So stop talking about womanizing, values, morality, and loyalty when your own parents did not exactly do the right thing either.”

The letter also questioned the younger Valenciano why he did not condemn his own parents as he did Duterte.

“How come you never condemned your parents? And by the way, that child who was conceived out of indiscretion is you (not that it’s your fault.”

The writer stressed that he/she is not endorsing any candidate but only want Valenciano not to judge other people.

“I am not supporting any candidate nor am I condoning infidelity but look within your own family before becoming too opinionated and judgmental about someone else’s life. This is not about politics. Don’t tackle an issue that once hounded your own family. Yours is not perfect either.”

In the end, the writer said Gabriel should look to people who don’t condemn his father but instead admire him for his work.

“By the way, I like Gary V because he is a good singer and not because he was a womanizer,” the write said. “A lot of people support and admire Gary because of his talent. They did not judge his faults. Look the story up on Google and on YouTube (Angeli and Felichi opened up about it on the 700 Club show).

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

Entertainment News
Gab Valenciano speaks up on Duterte, responds to bashers

'I am for no one,' says Gab, on the 2016 presidential elections

GAB VALENCIANO. The musician voices out his opinion on presidential aspirant Rodrigo Duterte. Screengrab from Instagram/gabvalenciano

MANILA, Philippines – With the 2016 presidential elections looming, celebrities have begun to voice out their opinions or support for those planning to run.

On December 6, musician and multimedia artist Gab Valenciano reacted to a post that singer Kitchie Nadal posted on Facebook.

According to the When In Manila post that Gab reposted, Kitchie said that our leaders should respect marital laws, and lead by example: "It has become part of our culture to think that our leaders’ 'private lives' have no lasting impact in society, when the reality is that followers and constituents emulate and follow the lead of their leaders. If ever you are thinking of voting for Mayor [Rodrigo] Duterte (and I include myself), we should keep in mind that men and women should uphold marital laws as seriously as criminal laws, because family is the very foundation of our society."

Kitchie's post followed presidential aspirant Rodrigo Duterte's admission that he's a "womanizer" with two wives and two girlfriends. (READ: Rodrigo Duterte: Yes, I'm a womanizer)

On December 7, Gab responded to a commenter asking who he thinks is most qualified to lead the Philippines among the aspiring candidates. The commenter said that before Gab gave his opinion on the 2016 elections, he should first think about the young Filipino citizens who are "mad for change."

Gab replied, "I am for no one. Sadly."

He reiterated that his opinion on Duterte had nothing to do with his leadership but his morality. "When any decent person boasts about dirty laundry, in this case a presidential candidate, that shouldn't be socially acceptable. You say you want change yet are willing to compromise for the sake of acquiring that change. I think that should be reason enough to rethink your argument."

Screengrab from Facebook/gabvalenciano88

On December 8, another commenter said that celebrities should choose a specific candidate to endorse, rather than "playing safe" and not choosing.

Gab replied that he isn't a celebrity, and that he's just a guy standing up for what he believes in. "I refuse to pick a candidate just for the sake of picking and choosing. If you want to vote for whoever you feel has the right to lead the Philippines, then by all means please do so. I'm sorry if my moral conscience doesn't equate to my social responsibility to endorse or support a candidate," wrote Gab.

Gab finished, "I am not playing safe. I never do. My refusal to choose is my own personal protest. It's not my fault people take interest in what I have to say. If you feel he's the right man for the job, then vote."

On December 9, Gab wrote another Facebook post, addressing the messages he received on social media after his first post.

Gab said that many of the comments he received had nothing to do with the issue at hand, but rather, attacked him personally. "I would have loved to indulge in constructive arguments with people and go head-to-head on this issue, instead, they talk about how ugly I am, how I'm using this issue to boost my popularity, how I'm just desperately looking for attention because I don't have a career anymore AND how I was never fit for show business."

He continued, "I am not saying all this for pity, instead, for people to gain a certain level of consciousness of the current educational and mental state of the country... It's sad. Heartbreaking even. Not necessarily with what they were saying about my personal life (since I've heard all that over and over before anyway), but seeing how real people who live real lives think and feel nowadays. It's scary. It's scary seeing where Filipinos stand culturally, socially, spiritually, and mentally."

Gab is the son of singer Gary Valenciano and veteran talent manager Angeli Pangilinan Valenciano.

Gab also praised those who gave valid arguments on his post, explaining, "Because you actually are for the advancement of our country and are educated enough to know how to handle opposition."

He ended, "I stood up and spoke out for what I believe in, and I will not apologize nor back down. So come at me with your garbage, and I will retaliate with my education."

Kitchie's post has since been deleted.

In his December 6 post, Gab supported Kitchie's opinion, saying, "Wisdom. Pure wisdom. Respect for Kitchie has quintupled."

He added, "I'm sorry, but leadership does not justify compromise.

This is the sad reality. The Philippines' greatest weakness isn't the government anymore, it's the people who so eagerly, desperately, and blindly fall for anything that looks and sounds good."

Duterte is the tough-talking mayor of Davao City who is credited with bringing peace and order to the area. Known for taking strong action against crime, he told Rappler's Maria Ressa in a previous interview that "If I have to kill you, I’ll kill you," with regard to stopping criminality. (READ: Duterte, his 6 contradictions and planned dictatorship)

Recently, Amnesty International (AI) said that they asked the 5 leading presidential hopefuls for their human rights agendas, but none of them complied. After "reaffirming" his certificate of candidacy at the Commission of Elections on Tuesday, December 8, Duterte downplayed AI's comment, saying that his bad human rights record “started as a political gimmick” by his former rival, former Davao Representative Prospero Nograles.

“700 daw ang pinatay ko? Nagkulang ho sila sa kuwenta (I killed 700? They underestimated the figures),” said Duterte. Asked about the actual figure, Duterte replied, “Mga 1,700 (Around 1,700)." (READ: Duterte: I killed 700? No, make that 1,700)

"No doubt, Duterte is a leader who leads, and leads well. But what about the model and nature in which that leadership is put across? Doesn't that matter anymore? I respect him for his honesty and eagerness to lead our country back on track, but I cannot support his morality," continued Gab.

lacsi08

• Melason
    • View Profile

Mayor Duterte Says That Karen Davila is 'Delicious'!

Another video of Mayor Rodrigo Duterte's interview had been making rounds over the social media sites.

It took during the interview that was taken at the DZMM TeleRadyo whereas one of the hosts was Karen Davila.

Duterte was known to be a womanizer and to always be using his charms towards the interviewers.

Now, when he was asked to describe several personalities using one word. Karen Davila was one of the names that they had to describe.

The word that Mayor Duterte used was 'Delicious'. He even joked about if only he did not bring his wife with him.

Karen did not know if it was a compliment or an insult to be told that she was delicious.

billicent_1219

• I sing, dance, write stories, play piano & guitar!
    • View Profile
Our New President, Rodrigo Roa Duterte :)