Welcome, Kapamilya. Please or

Author Topic: Juan Dela Cruz (February 4, 2013 – October 25, 2013)  (Read 150981 times)

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
Re: Juan Dela Cruz (OT)
« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2013, 04:15:07 AM »
Juan Dela Cruz’ Created As ‘Cross-platform TV series’

Manila BulletinManila Bulletin – Sat, Feb 2, 2013 10:17 AM PHT

MANILA, Philippines - "Juan dela Cruz" is not just a fantasy-super hero series but a "tent pole project" according to ABS-CBN President Charo Santos-Concio.

More than just competition for the show up against it on the rival network or a serye meant to just fill up a time slot that's soon-to-be vacated by its predecessor, Deo Endrinal, the business unit head of Dreamscape, calls the Coco Martin-starrer a cross-platform project.

"A tent pole project is likened sa circus tent and its tent poles na nakatayo. Those poles cross to different platforms including licensing, merchandising and music," explained Deo.

This means that what will air starting Feb. 4 is just the first chapter of "Juan dela Cruz," with four other chapters of the series already created by Dreamscape.

"If we're going to invest on a franchise, we look at it on a long term basis at least five years. Pero hindi po siya sa iisang platform lang," said Deo.

Originally, ABS-CBN wanted to enter "Juan dela Cruz" to last year's Metro Manila Film Festival entry. However, they pulled it out from the race even before the announcement of the festival's Magic 8, with the Kapamilya network opting to make it into a TV series instead and "for any eventuality, [to turn it into] a movie which would be Chapter Two of "Juan dela Cruz." The other platforms being considered to market and sell "Juan dela Cruz" are special edition comic books, webisodes and even a remastered HD version of the series.

Making use of High Definition video cameras is one of the many aspects that differentiates "Juan dela Cruz" from other fantasy and action packed teleseryes. It is said that this is in preparation for the coming of high definition technology to the Philippines in two to three years time, said Deo.

"Juan" director Malu Sevilla said that using HD technology would give "bagong look and bagong flavor sa television. This is the future of television in the Philippines."

She added that those who would immediately benefit from the high-def format are subscribers of The Filipino Channel or TFC abroad, whose cable service providers mostly broadcast signals in high-def. The whole series, though, would be archived then remastered and aired anew once high-def technology is widely available in the country.

On using "aswang" to depict evil and the nemesis of main character Juan dela Cruz, it is due to the fact that the mythical creature is unique to Filipino folklore; that when they sell series abroad or to neighboring Asian countries, the "aswang" then becomes one of the series' selling points.

"This is not just a TV show, this is not just a one teleserye, it's a franchise. We are looking forward na pwede siyang sumibol as a webisode sa Internet, maaaring paglabas na special na komiks, maaaring toy para sa mga bata, or a film, may original soundtrack din. And bilang produkto, we are very confident because it has the ABS-CBN tatak ng quality, great narrative and storytelling and characterization," said Deo.

|||◄+--------| TFC Godfather circa 2003 |--------+►|||

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2013, 04:15:33 AM »
'Juan Dela Cruz,' A Visual Perspective

Manila Bulletin – Thu, Jan 31, 2013

MANILA, Philippines - Some might deem our local entertainment to be wanting in perspective, particularly in the use of visual effects as supposedly seen in most fantasy-horror outings. The main point of contention being that the industry, as a matter of course, would often skimp on research - whether on effects, costumes or art - purportedly in lieu of expediency and cost cutting, accuracy be damned.

Belying this notion is Noel Layon "Atongwali" Flores, a visual artist and professional costume and effects designer who has been credited with some of the more arresting images seen on TV and films of late including ABS-CBN's upcoming Coco Martin-starrer, "Juan dela Cruz."

According to Flores, contrary to popular belief, most of today's local productions do invest in visual development. Of course, he doesn't deny that there will always be issues of budget constraints but it is not as if they are being ordered to ignore purpose and meaning altogether in creating their visuals.

Citing his ongoing work on "Juan dela Cruz," Flores related that ABS-CBN supported him all out in his research to be able to deliver a workable and authentic enough visual theme to support a story that explores esoteric themes abundant in Philippine culture, with a focus on the Aswang.

"There was no limitations imposed in terms of what I could imagine and do, they even allowed me to create my own mythology," he said, describing how he came up with the visuals for the fantasy drama.

Flores mainly focused on the creation of the special weapon of Martin's character, the Bakal Na Krus. He related that he sourced out materials dating to the pre-colonial times, to be as accurate as possible in terms of depicting a weapon that is aesthetically very Filipino.

"More than that I made a conscious decision to link the visuals I used in the series to the Katipunan so... most of the weapons we made are based on actual bolos used by Katipuneros," he shared.

He also added some personal considerations.

"I also made use of ideas that I sourced from my research on the Crusades, particularly on what type of metal to use in the design of the Bakal Na Krus. As a nod to my past as a game developer, I added some gems on its design as well. There is also some Aramaic script engraved on the Krus."

He admitted that the Bakal Na Krus has something in common with the weapon on another iconic Pinoy hero, Ang Panday, in that it transforms into a sword.

"Pero we leveled [it] up in that the Bakal Na Krus can also transform into a bow, a spear and a whip," Flores explained.

Flores' work went beyond the show's weaponry; he also envisioned the costume design of the show's characters, with each having their own symbolic meaning.

"Everything, from the most obvious ones to the smallest, most obscure detail... they all have bearing," he said, maintaining that visual design shouldn't only be ornamental but cerebral -- serving as an important part in communicating the story as a whole to its audience.

"As a visual designer I try to be faithful to what is culturally acceptable based on existing books and historical artifacts. We don't just create for the sake of creating. As much as we don't want to offend, we also don't want to distort people's belief and perception."

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:56 AM »

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2013, 04:17:42 AM »

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2013, 04:18:09 AM »

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2013, 04:18:53 AM »

billicent_1219

• I sing, dance, write stories, play piano & guitar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »
This is the one I have been looking forward to!!!! Aside from Coco, it has got Gina Pareno, another favorite, and Eddie Garcia.  Then, there's Albert Martinez, Louise Abuel and Ronnie Lazaro,  all very interesting subjects.  Talk about powerhouse casting!!
Don't forget about Erich :)

I really hope the flow of the soap is solid and hopefully the special effects don't degenerate after a week or so. That is actually my biggest concern.

tama.... i hope kasing-fluid ito ng IMORTAL

fiel-kun

• Proud to be Kapamilya!
    • View Profile
    • Fiel-kun's Thoughts
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
Yey, few hours from now mapapanood na natin ang JUAN DELA CRUZ!!!

Super excited na ako :)

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
Let's hope for the best.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:25:25 PM by TFC Godfather »

flamerounin

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
still a bit clunky, but i loved the opening animation. makes me wonder, kelan kaya uli magkakaron ng full length animation series dito satin?

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2013, 04:56:00 AM »
still a bit clunky, but i loved the opening animation. makes me wonder, kelan kaya uli magkakaron ng full length animation series dito satin?
Sadly Super Inggo wasn't a ratings or a merchandising success so they scrapped any hope of another full length Pinoy animated series.

Clunky in what way?

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »
'Juan De La Cruz' sets a phenomenal start on its pilot episode, doubles rival show's ratings

Below shows the comparative rating results of Juan De La Cruz and Indio based on the overnight ratings of Kantar Media/TNS among Total Philippines (Urban & Rural) households last night:

JuanDelaCruz (pilot) 36.5%
Indio 16.5%

1010gabriela

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
Very nice. On high-definition, it is very textural and views like a film. It engages the senses, visual, auditory, tactile.  The ambient and background sounds are effective and the viewer gets the feeling of being able to "touch" the scenes.

Amazing performances by Albert M. and Joel Torre and I also like the scenes that overlap as they switch back and forth for example from the birth scene to the fight scene.

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #208 on: February 05, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
Very nice. On high-definition, it is very textural and views like a film. It engages the senses, visual, auditory, tactile.  The ambient and background sounds are effective and the viewer gets the feeling of being able to "touch" the scenes.

Amazing performances by Albert M. and Joel Torre and I also like the scenes that overlap as they switch back and forth for example from the birth scene to the fight scene.
The birth scene/fight scene overlap reminds me of 'The Godfather' with the legendary scene dubbed 'baptism by fire' (the Baptism happens while all the other mafia heads of other syndicates were being massacred).

foreveryoung

« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
LOVE LOVE LOVE the first episode <3 <3 Finally we get a fantasy drama with a epic and engaging storyline. The last fantasy I really liked was Imortal, which is not surprising hehe :) The cinematography was stunning, really hope they'll sustain it hanggang sa huli. The animation in the beginning was awesome, it's nice that ABS is making use of their animation department (if they have one?) they used anime in ABA as well pero more Harry Potter-like. The only thing that I didn't like was the odd insert ng Maging Sino Ka Man song during the baptism scene? Parang out-of-place lang pati like many, I don't  like that song as the theme of this drama, hopefully new OSTs will come up soon, hehe.

So based on the pacing, we'll see Coco and Erich by episode 3 I suppose? Anyways one last thing sana for HD dramas, ipalabas sa TFC in full HD hindi letterbox... kung pwede lang :)