Welcome, Kapamilya. Please or

Author Topic: Pinoy Soap Operas 101 (OT)  (Read 24553 times)

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
Re: Pinoy Soap Operas 101 (OT)
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
The addition of characters that are more of "pampagulo" to the plot.
Could you elaborate a little more...
|||◄+--------| TFC Godfather circa 2003 |--------+►|||

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »
PINOY SOAP OPERAS 101

1] No Body = Not Dead (TFC Godfather)
In Pinoy soaps, we see someone allegedly killed or murdered but where is the body? Are they really dead? More often than not, nope they are not dead. They will make a return later in the soap or have changed characters/faces (Case in point: Rita Avila/Black Lily/Eula Valdez on Walang Hanggan)

2] Cops are inept (well there general shooting skill that is)! (TFC Godfather)
In Pinoy soaps, we have cops and they try to do their job as protectors of the innocent. More often than not, they can't seem to shoot out tires and miss round after round on a getaway car. Where's that training in the Police Academy? 1 bullet can't flatten these amazing tires of the criminals? Cops can't get a proper blockade up or even show up in time.

3] DNA samples = Tainted! (TFC Godfather)
In Pinoy soaps, you'll get the much anticipated DNA reveal! More often than not, they get switched or defiled to continue storylines.

4] The White Van/Multi-cab = Syndicato/Kidnappers (TFC Godfather)
In Pinoy soaps, if you see an ominous white van appear in the background, more often than not its a syndicato trying to kidnap kids or just kidnappers (in general).

5] My Amnesia One (komitsu)
For the sake of extending the soaps storyline, the protagonist will be going through an accident then when he/she wake up...he/she doesn't have any memory of the past anymore. ( ex. Sarah of Kung Ako'y Iiwan mo, Jewel Fortalejo of Kristine Book 2, Angelo Buenevista of Pangako Sa  Iyo Book 2)

6] Since They Take My Child Away (komitsu)
The plot of a Pinoy soap always starts with a parent/s getting separated from his child. ( I don't  think I need to give example for this one hehe)

7] The Bermuda Triangle (komitsu)
I called this one the Bermuda Triangle. Commonly in Pinoy Soaps, the main conflict started from the Main Protagonist having a love triangle with her/his partner and the Main Antagonist. (ex. Amor- Eduardo-Claudia in Pangako Sa 'Yo , Sarah-Paul-Mia in Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo, Esther-Elias-Victoria in Marina, Melanie-Noel-Cynthia in Walang Kapalit, Gabriel-Ruth-Judah in Noah )

8] I Envy You So Much I Wanna Get Rid Of You (komitsu)
Another common conflict starter, an envious Antagonist to the Protagonist. (ex. Megan to Aryana in Aryana, Clara to Mara in Mara Clara, Nathan to Daniel in Walang Hanggan, Alondra to Lora in MLKI, Bendita to Agua in Agua Bendita )

9] Poor and Rich Class Clash (TFC Godfather)
Another commonality in Pinoy teleseryes are the poor and rich class storylines. Normally its the poor clashing with the rich over money or land or when it comes to lovestories, the poor girl from the province is a maid and falls in love with the rich owner or heir to the thrown.

(ex: Too many to name like Maria La Del Barrio, Pangako Sa'yo, SWAN, Be Careful With My Heart)

10] Elderly Accidents (komitsu)
I cannot believe that this one was used again in Aryana.  Every time an elderly character found something about the secret or something bad that the antagonist did, somethin bad happens to them. (ex. Elnora in Aryana, Manang Henya in Walang Hanggan, Concordia in Reputasyon)

11] Song Titles as Series Titles (foreveryoung)
It's been done multiple times by every network in the Philippines. I guess its better than trying to come up with an original title.

Add on mga Kapamilya!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:32:46 AM by TFC Godfather »

billicent_1219

• I sing, dance, write stories, play piano & guitar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 03:23:10 PM »

Not only to enhance or maintain ratings, but also, they further complicate the situation, especially kung hindi naman talaga kunektado sa pinaka-story.

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »

Not only to enhance or maintain ratings, but also, they further complicate the situation, especially kung hindi naman talaga kunektado sa pinaka-story.
Can you give an example? Do you mean like Carlota or Black Lily? How about Denise/Cassandra on Paraiso?

billicent_1219

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
Sabrina/Andrea (Gretchen Barretto) in Sa Dulo
Yung Kay PHR Queen, Di naman talaga panggulo eh
Panggulo Lang din role ni Josh Santana sa Bituin. Never tuloy na build up ang love team ni Carol and Carlo Muñoz

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 03:20:21 AM »
PINOY SOAP OPERAS 101

In Pinoy soaps, we see someone allegedly killed or murdered but where is the body? Are they really dead? More often than not, nope they are not dead. They will make a return later in the soap or have changed characters/faces (Case in point: Rita Avila/Black Lily/Eula Valdez on Walang Hanggan)

In Pinoy soaps, we have cops and they try to do their job as protectors of the innocent. More often than not, they can't seem to shoot out tires and miss round after round on a getaway car. Where's that training in the Police Academy? 1 bullet can't flatten these amazing tires of the criminals? Cops can't get a proper blockade up or even show up in time.

In Pinoy soaps, you'll get the much anticipated DNA reveal! More often than not, they get switched or defiled to continue storylines.

In Pinoy soaps, if you see an ominous white van appear in the background, more often than not its a syndicato trying to kidnap kids or just kidnappers (in general).

For the sake of extending the soaps storyline, the protagonist will be going through an accident then when he/she wake up...he/she doesn't have any memory of the past anymore. ( ex. Sarah of Kung Ako'y Iiwan mo, Jewel Fortalejo of Kristine Book 2, Angelo Buenevista of Pangako Sa  Iyo Book 2)

The plot of a Pinoy soap always starts with a parent/s getting separated from his child. ( I don't  think I need to give example for this one hehe)

I called this one the Bermuda Triangle. Commonly in Pinoy Soaps, the main conflict started from the Main Protagonist having a love triangle with her/his partner and the Main Antagonist. (ex. Amor- Eduardo-Claudia in Pangako Sa 'Yo , Sarah-Paul-Mia in Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo, Esther-Elias-Victoria in Marina, Melanie-Noel-Cynthia in Walang Kapalit, Gabriel-Ruth-Judah in Noah )

Another common conflict starter, an envious Antagonist to the Protagonist. (ex. Megan to Aryana in Aryana, Clara to Mara in Mara Clara, Nathan to Daniel in Walang Hanggan, Alondra to Lora in MLKI, Bendita to Agua in Agua Bendita )

Another commonality in Pinoy teleseryes are the poor and rich class storylines. Normally its the poor clashing with the rich over money or land or when it comes to lovestories, the poor girl from the province is a maid and falls in love with the rich owner or heir to the thrown.

(ex: Too many to name like Maria La Del Barrio, Pangako Sa'yo, SWAN, Be Careful With My Heart)

I cannot believe that this one was used again in Aryana.  Every time an elderly character found something about the secret or something bad that the antagonist did, somethin bad happens to them. (ex. Elnora in Aryana, Manang Henya in Walang Hanggan, Concordia in Reputasyon)

It's been done multiple times by every network in the Philippines. I guess its better than trying to come up with an original title.

12] Special Participation Characters (TFC Godfather)
Have you noticed the intro credits and the words 'special participation' in Filipino teleseryes? More often than not, those characters will die or they will no longer be needed in future episodes (age progression of characters). Some artistas that have done numerous 'special participation' roles are Christopher de Leon, Joel Torre, Philip Salvador and Angel Jacob).

Add on mga Kapamilya!

billicent_1219

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 05:50:16 AM »
SPECIAL PARTICIPATION WAS SO VERY MULA SA PUSO!

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
Yup that did happen quite frequently there.

Any new suggestions to add to the 101 list?

billicent_1219

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »
Yup that did happen quite frequently there.

Any new suggestions to add to the 101 list?

Kaya nga, I'm referring to Claudine's version. The "special participation" consists of Ariel Rivera, Nida Blanca, Mark Gil, Cherry Pie Pichache, Ena Garcia, among others.

JiggyBoy

• View Profile
    • Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 03:03:55 AM »
Brothers and Sisters Pray For Us- Pinoy Soap Operas story plots usually do revelations of characters such as the protagonist and antagonist are siblings. (Ina Kapatid Anak, Agua Bendita, Pangarap na Bituin, Aryana, Magkaribal, Mundo Man Ay Magunaw )

billicent_1219

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »
Brothers and Sisters Pray For Us- Pinoy Soap Operas story plots usually do revelations of characters such as the protagonist and antagonist are siblings. (Ina Kapatid Anak, Agua Bendita, Pangarap na Bituin, Aryana, Magkaribal, Mundo Man Ay Magunaw )

But Rica's character is the fake Sapphire. Nikki Gil was the real Sapphire.

Hielo

• Formerly known as "niceguess"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
Good Character's Death brings Peace - death of one beloved character brings reconciliation of enemies who-were-friends-before. (May Isang Pangarap, Ina Kapatid Anak, Walang Hanggan, etc.)
Richard in relation to Dela Rosa Family:
2nd Wife of Maya

billicent_1219

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
Good Character's Death brings Peace - death of one beloved character brings reconciliation of enemies who-were-friends-before. (May Isang Pangarap, Ina Kapatid Anak, Walang Hanggan, etc.)

Otep's death was an example. His face in the coffin wasn't revealed to the viewers

RoyalFlush372

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »
Palaging nakikita sa teleserye.

1.  Giving birth to a child.
2.  Mean people.
3.  Wedding in the Church
4.  Switched at birth
5.  Someone got shot or kidnapped.

TFC Godfather

• Global Moderator
  • Kapamilya Legend
    • View Profile
    • TFC Godfather Facebook
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »
PINOY SOAP OPERAS 101

12] Special Participation Characters (TFC Godfather)
Have you noticed the intro credits and the words 'special participation' in Filipino teleseryes? More often than not, those characters will die or they will no longer be needed in future episodes (age progression of characters). Some artistas that have done numerous 'special participation' roles are Christopher de Leon, Joel Torre, Philip Salvador and Angel Jacob).

13] Brothers and Sisters Pray For Us (JiggyBoy)
Pinoy Soap Operas story plots usually do revelations of characters such as the protagonist and antagonist are siblings. (Ina Kapatid Anak, Agua Bendita, Pangarap na Bituin, Aryana, Magkaribal, Mundo Man Ay Magunaw )

14] Good Character's Death brings Peace (niceguess)
Death of one beloved character brings reconciliation of enemies who-were-friends-before. (May Isang Pangarap, Ina Kapatid Anak, Walang Hanggan, etc.)

Add on mga Kapamilya!